Dearest Pacific Northwest Chapter Members,
Last month we experienced the sudden departure of several members of our Executive Committee:
Rev. Dr. Maria McDowell, Acting Treasurer
Alan Murray, Policy Administrator
Anna E. Zeigler, Secretary
While the loss of leadership is a challenging and unfortunate part of any functioning organization, these kinds of changes are known to be especially common among newer ones. The Pacific Northwest Chapter of the Union of Black Episcopalians is moving forward.
As a UBE chapter which was founded in Portland, Oregon, we strove to include and involve people from throughout the Pacific Northwest region. We kept in mind the Black Episcopalian and People of Color dispersed among largely white communities while we reached towards the larger municipalities of Tacoma, Everett, Bellingham, Seattle, Olympia, and Redmond. We had our first meeting in the parish hall of Grace Memorial Episcopal Church on March 9, 2020; it has been 16 months. We continued to organize, grow, and become a positive influence notwithstanding Zoom and COVID. I have not missed a meeting.
June was eventful indeed! I moved to Seattle two weeks ago to establish and grow my business in Washington. Rent prices have come down, and the timing was right for me personally and for my long-term financial goals. Being self-employed and making my own schedule is why I can also do the work in the church which I care so much about. Further, having a Seattle base for the chapter opens new opportunities for us to expand our relationship with the members, leaders, and parishes of the ECWW. Grace Memorial will serve as the UBE office for Oregon.
We also held our first Juneteenth morning service the week of the new national holiday!
Despite the uncertainties as of late, I encourage us all to keep our eyes on the Mission of this Chapter and the people for whom we strive to gain fuller participation in our halls, pews, and titular circles. They deserve the fullest sense of belonging that we can give here in The Episcopal corner of God’s kingdom. The space is unlimited!
I look forward to seeing you all on Monday night @ 7pm.
We encourage you to take advantage of your Union (UBE) membership!
- The UBE has a Weekly Prayer Line, Tuesday nights at 8pm Eastern (5pm Pacific). You must REGISTER in advance.
- UBE 1st Thursday Virtual Bible Study at 8pm Eastern (5pm Pacific). You must REGISTER in advance.
- Submit your Prayer Requests to The Union (UBE national).
- UBE Annual Conference and Revival, July 27-30th. REGISTRATION.
- The next Talk2Talk is July18th, 4-5pm Eastern (1-2pm Pacific). Get onboard and REGISTER!
CHAPTERWIDE MEETING AGENDA
- Opening Prayer or Scripture: Available lay or clergy leader
- Member open forum for sharing and discussion
- Juneteenth Service Watch on YouTube if you haven’t had the chance to!
- Closing Reflection or Prayer: Available clergy
PNW-UBE Chapterwide Monthly Meetings
The PNW Chapter of the UBE meets every 2nd Monday from 7-8 pm.
Meeting ID: 812 0565 8235
Dial-in by your location
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 971 247 1195 US (Portland)
+1 206 337 9723 US (Seattle)